By: Amy Mac, wampro.tv
You might not be the creative type so the idea of coming up with new and exciting ways to make your videos creative can be pretty intimidating. Here’s a couple secrets and then a ton of ideas to spice up your videos.
Secret 1: Inspiration
It is not stealing if you watch other people’s work and get ideas. You aren’t copying their stuff when you get inspired to change your lighting or interview style. Learn what you like and then figure out how you can incorporate it into your own content.
Secret 2: Partner Up
If you aren’t a creative, that’s ok! Just know that someone else is out there with a ton of ideas and if you can partner up with them, you’ll both benefit and learn!
Here are a bunch of other simple ideas on how to make your videos more creative:
- Slow Motion - fun and great to add comedy or emphasis to a certain shot
- Fast Motion - for comedy or to shorten a boring section, i.e. walking from point A - B.
- Black & White - adds variety and can help form a storyline
- Different Camera Angles - experiment with angles and height
- Music - changing the music can change the whole feel of the video
- Lighting - too much, too little, colored gels, all will change the feel of the shot
- Timing - different parts of the day will affect the lighting and the feel of the shot
- Tripod - experiment with shots using one and then not, see which is more relevant to your content
- Backdrop - try shooting on a green screen so you can create different backdrops
- Narration - doing a voiceover or having a narrator can help to move the story along
- Zooming - play with zooming to add movement or drama to the shot
- Lens - borrow or rent lenses for your camera to get different results
- Team - paying someone to shoot the video, edit the video or create graphics can up your production value and add creativity
- Transitions - experiment with flashes of lights, fades to black or cheesy colored screen wipes. You can see how just changing one element of your video could completely change the feel of your content. The main thing is to not get frustrated or overwhelmed when you are experimenting. Some things will work and some won’t, either way, you’ll learn something and will be expanding your own creativity. Just remember, if you are out of ideas, go look for inspiration in other people’s work or partner up with someone that is full of great ideas! You don’t have to be a creative in order to be creative!